Sunday, October 26, 2014

Module #3- Supplemental Readings Response

As I read the Coiro article I couldn't help but think as I read the "think aloud" (go figure).  I'm going to approach online reading as Coiro suggests, I will approach my online reading, navigate through it as best I can, monitor my comprehension (asking, "why"), and of course think of how to respond.  I'm trying to approach reading as I did as a struggling First Grade (Kindergarten wasn't as intense in the 80's) reader, think about my strategies and use them.  Over time I hope to get there otherwise that's A LOT of paper!

I liked what John Seely Brown had to say but I was really drawn to the keynote speaker introduction by Diana Rhoten about integrating technology into our classrooms.   Diana Rhoten brings up a good point about technology in the classroom saying that no matter what happens, "we will NEVER fundamentally change the future of teaching and learning".  Yes, technology is important to include in our teaching but it can't be ALL of our teaching.  I have thought about that a lot this school year.  I'm so happy to be getting my sixth year in IT&DML, I have always embraced what new technology that has been introduced in my district and I have always been excited to explore these technologies with my students and sometimes colleagues.  But especially this year I have been exposed to sooooooo much!  I'm super lucky and am I happy to learn more not just for myself for but for my students.  What I need to remember is that I can't share all of it at once!  They are 4 and 5 years old and can't take all of that in.  As an adult I can barely keep up.  So bit by bit we are working on adding new pieces into our classroom.  My students were happy to use the iPad that we are lucky enough to have and when I included Easy Blogger they reached a new level of happy!  They are constantly asking when they can review a book for our blog with a drawing or a recording.  It's really wonderful to see how excited they are about reading and without even knowing it I'm also able to see what they are really comprehending.  Online Reading Comprehension come to life!! So yes, Diana Rhoten we will never fundamentally change the future of teaching and learning but instead let's grow with it and be the fundamental change.

Creative Commons License

This work by Anne Marie Lanning is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment