Sunday, July 20, 2014

My Definition of TPACK


Teaching with TPACK 
TPACK to me is how to integrate technology effectively in a classroom/learning environment.  Using technology, pedagogy, and content knowledge together to build a solid foundation for learning that is constantly evolving.  In my classroom TPACK can be seen as-

T-Technology- Through the use of a smartboard, computers, iPad, and internet my students are surrounded by what is digital technology.  Technology can also be the use of the whiteboard to teach correct letter formation or using math manipulatives to teach new mathematical concepts. Example- In my Kindergarten class I may teach addition as using a number line on the wall or as an interactive game on the iPad or smartboard.


P-Pedagogy- Looking at the larger picture, the content that needs to be taught and breaking it up into pieces that can built together to create to the larger picture for students to understand.  Example- Most students in Kindergarten do not come in knowing how to read, instead as a teacher I give them the skills needed to become a reader.  First they learn to recognize letters.  Then letter sounds. Next they learn to blend the sounds together to make words.  Finally they put the words together to make sentences that they can read.


A-And- I think that the A in TPACK can be "and" using technology, pedagogy, and content knowledge, as it is the glue that keeps them all together.  Using all of these conjunction is what makes it a solid foundation for learning.


CK-Content Knowledge- The content that needs to be taught or understood by the students as well as using the teacher's prior knowledge about how to best teach for the learner to understand.  Example-Teaching students basic phonological skills. As a teacher I know that there are different types of learners, kinesthetic, visual, auditory learners so I need to include each of those modalities when teaching a lesson.  I have students trace the letters while saying the sound, looking at the letters, and giving an example of that letter sounds "A-apple-a".


Overall TPACK is constantly evolving and is unique in each application!


I found the video by Punya Mishra to be extremely helpful in helping me better understand TPACK.  I also got a few laughs in as well!




Creative Commons License
This work by Anne Marie Lanning is licensed under a



No comments:

Post a Comment