Monday, July 21, 2014

"The most important thing for kids growing up today is the love of embracing change"

John Seely Brown brings up a good point at the very beginning of his video, "The most important thing for kids growing up today is the love of embracing change".  It is such a powerful statement!  Instead of saying "kids" it should be people of all ages.  I have found it is much easier to "go with the flow" rather than fight what is changing.  I think back to 2006 when I began student teaching.  My cooperating teacher was one of the first people to have "new technology" aka the smart board.  During the first few weeks when I was observing the class I noticed that she didn't use it all.  I thought "How can she not be using this amazing resource?"  When I asked her about it she said she hadn't received any training and using the chalkboard was much easier.  So I decided that it was going to be my mission to learn how to use the smart board for myself and teach her how to use it.  It was rocky at first, the cart with the laptop and projector would move, the smart board needed to be calibrated,etc. but as time moved on I began using the smart board daily.  The students LOVED it and so did my cooperating teacher!  She finally "embraced the change"!  I'm happy to say she continues to use it everyday all these years later and enjoys sharing this resource with her students.  I wonder if she would have used the smart board if I hadn't been there or would it have continued to take up space on the wall?  "Embracing the change" can be difficult but it can also be rewarding for all involved.


Creative Commons License
This work by Anne Marie Lanning is licensed under a

No comments:

Post a Comment