Saturday, November 8, 2014

Module #4 Week 2- Supplemental Readings Response

Image courtesy of:http://globaled2.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/logo_160.png

The Gehlbach et al. article highlighted the statement “students learn by doing” by using the computer simulations such as “River City” and “Civilization III”, as well as role-playing real life situations.  According to some studies students learn better with a visual hands on approach rather than just text and lectures with no visuals involved.
I have found in my classroom that students love the “Dramatic Play Station” the most.  Unfortunately it isn’t considered academic/rigorous enough so my students only see it on indoor recess days.  Students love to play in the kitchen, build in the workshop, and of course play teacher where I usually teach small group.  It’s so great to watch them (most of the time).  It shows how much they really listen and take in on a daily basis.  I have noticed most of my students LOVE to talk on the phone and the conversations are always funny.  I don’t think that most people even realize how much their kids mimic what they do.  When they “play” teacher a lot of my catch phrases come out which is funny and sometimes horrifying.  I always tell parents I won’t believe everything their kids say about them if they don’t believe everything they say about me!
The Global Ed stimulation that Gehlbach, et al. studied had students learn about a specific country and then negotiate treaties, etc. based on their country needs.   Students became motivated learners by learning about their countries, more so than they would just reading a book and listening to a lecture.  A study that showed that students didn’t necessarily increase their interest in their specific content area (the specific country they were assigned) instead their interest in the subject of social studies in general.  Gehlbach goes on to say that students might not have shown more interest in their specific country because of “burnout”, researching the countries, immersing themselves in the information about the subject, or along the way they may have found something more interesting perhaps in another simulated country.
The Gehlbach, et al. study showed that instead of students staying away from social studies, which previously had happened students became interested.  Giving students the chance to explore their own learning helped them to be interested and in some ways invested in their learning.
O’Byrne’s article goes into detail about Online Content Construction (OCC).  Based on my time in the IT&DML program I have learned a lot of OCC   I could go on and on about how OCC has changed my way of thinking in life and well as my teaching.  I am trying to include more knowledge transformation in my life (both home and work) rather than just knowledge teaching.  It gives my students and myself ownership.  Granted this is not an easy process but like most learning is challenging.  These challenges are not barriers in learning instead they are tests that can be faced together and create something wonderful.


Creative Commons License

This work by Anne Marie Lanning is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment