Sunday, September 28, 2014

7720- Week #4- Screencasting-Response 2

I enjoyed reading “The 7 Things to Know about Screencasting” because I knew most of the things!  For once I didn’t feel like I was the only one not knowing!  The article breaks down the pieces about screencasting as well as providing the pros/cons. 

Dan Nunez provides funny “commandments” for screencasting.  There were three that I found very interesting.

First, I never thought to do a secret login for screen casting.  It is a great idea since you want to have some sort of privacy while teaching others.

Second, when he brought up the piece about my screen resolution I have to admit I got a little lost.  Beginning this program at UNH was the first time I ever thought about a screencast.  I’m still getting used to the idea but Dan’s idea about the screen solution is helpful for future reference.

Finally was the most important piece about titling, introduction of the screencast.  I wish more people would watch his video about screencasting because he brings up an important piece about giving the video or screencast an appropriate title. This is huge!  It’s super annoying trying to find the “right” screencast only to hunt through tons of video and then find the wrong video or the right one 100 video clips later.

Ian Ozwald’s Screencasting Handbook is good resource for producing a good/great screencast.  What I liked the best was he broke it down into various programs that can be used for screencasting.  As I have said I knew NOTHING about screencasting prior to this program. 

I like the idea about recording a meeting.  As my team’s Data/Grade Level Leader I take a lot of notes.  I’m thinking about recording a meeting to see if it will help me give more detailed notes.

I also LOVE the idea about bug reporting.  For some reason I had a lot of difficulty recording my Module #1 for 7720 and maybe reporting the bug would have helped me out.  I’m also considering using Jing to see if that would be an easier screencast for me.

It’s interesting to see if people have time to create a screencast all of the little pieces such as screen resolution can make the screencast that much better.  I also didn’t know about the different resolutions if using on a mobile device vs. using on YouTube.  I also didn’t know there are so many places to host videos.


I do have one question about screencasting.  My school uses Windows as an operating system and I use a Mac at home.  I am unable to download any programs to my school computer so I do most of schoolwork at home.  Creating a true to life screencast would be difficult for me.  So is it easier to just do a screencast in Powerpoint or Keynote for my students to use?


Creative Commons License


This work by Anne Marie Lanning is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your comments about feeling confident about actually knowing something when going through the program. Screencastomatic has been the easiest of the platforms for me to use. The article was great... already shared it with my staff. I have worked with teachers on creating flipped lessons. We used Google Slides and then I walked them through Screencastomatic with an easy upload to Youtube. It was the easiest to use for me, personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being the first person to leave a comment on my blog! I am going to try screencastomatic especially after your recommendation! Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete