Sunday, September 7, 2014

To Wix or Not to Wix...

Getting back into the swing of things at my classroom job has been a bit challenging this year.  For some reason many parents do not realize you CAN register your student prior to the first day of Kindergarten in August.  I started out the school year with eleven students and each day I have gotten a new one.  Normally this isn’t a big deal but this year with my program at UNH I am trying to figure out how to juggle both.  I would like to read/write for class each night but instead I am making sure I am up to date on paperwork for each student, that I have their labels and pictures made for the word wall, cubbies, etc.   I know people are much more busy than me but I’m just trying to keep my head above water at this point.

So as I dive in I’m working on my Digital Learning Hub I have a million and one thoughts running through my head.  I looked at both Google Sites and Wix; Wix to me is the best fit for me.  I have looked at my classmates, past students in the program and other strangers on the Internet to think about what I want to include in my Digital Learning Hub.   I’m starting out simple right now but I am plan on adding and deleting based on what will work best for me. 

The purpose of my Digital Learning Hub is to showcase me, show/share my thoughts about teaching, how I use technology in my teaching and how I can be a better teacher for my students.

My intended audience is anyone who cares about teaching, especially people in the Pre-Kindergarten-First Grade range.  A lot of times people think that technology is for older students but I am can tell you from first hand experience that the my Kindergarten students are just as capable as me if not more when it comes to learning technology.  I’m lucky that I get to see the wonder in my student’s eyes as they use the smart board for the first time.  This week I’m planning to introduce them to our classroom computers, they are very eager to learn how to use them.  At the end of the week my students are going to take the STAR assessment for Early Literacy on iPads.  I already know they won’t see the assessment as a test but a chance to use the iPad.  I am unsure of what kinds of digital texts and tools that I want to embed in my website.  


I learned a lot during my beginning coursework over the summer and I know this semester I will have a chance to learn more about how to best embed my website to show me.  As for now I’m just starting to build my Digital Learning Hub, I know it’s a work in progress.

CAUTION: Students (and Teacher) at Work!


Creative Commons License
This work by Anne Marie Lanning is licensed under a


No comments:

Post a Comment