Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I forgot to post...A Pedagogy of Multiliteracies

As I began reading The New London Group’s article, A Pedagogy of Multiliteracies: Designing Social Futures I wasn’t sure how this meeting from 1994 would help me twenty years later.  What surprised me was that it really did address some of the same issues I am seeing in teaching in 2014. 

I related to article especially when it discussed shifting educational practices.  I see this from first a technology aspect of using various new forms of technology to reach the children of 2014.  Over the past ten years or so I have seen teaching move from the teaching verbally giving information to teachers giving students the chance to explore the information on their own using various forms of resources and technology. 

I was then able to see this in terms of the Common Core with teaching.  Over the past few years thanks to the Common Core what students are expected to do is above what teachers/parents have had them do in the past.  I as a teacher I am trying to embrace the change teaching with the Common Core.  I am giving my students the chance to navigate their own learning.  I might not give them full control but I am able to help guide them to find the answer or to tackle the challenge.

The Common Core was originally created because the changes of the Common Core were designed to help students become college and career ready.  Both teaching pedagogy and literacy pedagogy work together; teaching pedagogy is about teaching and learning about relationships and literacy pedagogy focuses on individuality. 

We as educators need to think about is best for our students in the long run.  Changing educational practices can be challenging at times but overall it is for the betterment of the student and teacher!

Resources:


Cazden, C. Cope, B. Fariclough, N. Gee, J. et al. A pedagogy of multiliteracies: Designing social futures.  Harvard Educational Review; Spring 1996; 66, 1; ProQuest Psychology Journals.


Creative Commons License


This work by Anne Marie Lanning is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment